As my due date quickly approaches (April 28th to be exact) I'm starting to feel very bittersweet about this new baby. Of course, I'm excited to meet her, to see what she'll look like and to count all those fingers and toes. But, I'm also cherishing every "quiet" moment that I have with Eleanor. Eleanor seems a bit clingy to me lately and I think it's because of the impending birth. Michael's feelings have been hurt a couple of times because she'll ask for me or not want to give him a hug. But, I think in her own little way (as much as a 2 1/2 year old can comprehend) she's grieving for the loss of what has just been Mommy & Eleanor time - or perhaps that's what I'm grieving.
Just to update folks a bit on Eleanor, here are some funny things that she has said lately:
-She now calls my Mom "Karma Karma" - instead of Grandma Karma. It always reminds me of that Boy George song from the 80's.
-I was getting the crib in the nursery ready the other day and she kept climbing on it. After about three times, I had to get a bit more forceful with her to pull her down. She gave me this disgusted look and said "Mom, I am so mad at you."
-She likes to clap for everyone when they go to the bathroom. Since I'm going frequently these days, I've been getting a lot of applause.
-She's been at Mayo's backup daycare this week and when I woke her up this morning to remind her where she was going she said, "they have food there!"
-We were sitting on the couch the other day and she wanted to "see" the baby. Apparently, in order to see the baby she has to pull up my shirt and pull down the maternity pants. She was touching my stomach for a little bit and then starting pulling the maternity panel back up and said "Mom, cover up your baby!"
-Michael and Eleanor came to my OB appointment on Monday. I hadn't remembered that I would have to do the strep test (just a swab, but it requires getting undressed from the waist down). While the doctor was examining me and just about to do the swab, Eleanor flew off the little couch and got right by the doctor. Michael tried to pull her away quickly and she shouted "I want to see Mommy's butt!"
Well, that is about it. She says cute things all the time, but if I don't write it down I don't always remember. As of Tuesday I was exactly 36 weeks preggers...so, it's just a waiting game now! I'm praying for a short and relatively easy delivery as I had with Eleanor. Thanks for all your thoughts & prayers as we get ready for little sister!
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Bittersweet...
Posted by Brynn at 12:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I know how you feel, Brynn. I went through a little grieving period, too. It's so hard to imagine life with a new baby after you've had one. Then, when she's here, you'll wonder what you ever did without her. Keep your chin up...time to rejoice in her arrival real soon! Best Wishes!--Siri
What a great post! Can't wait to meet the baby, but yes I am sure you are thinking about how different life will be with 2!! Love all the cute things Eleanor is saying. Makes me excited for Miles to start talking.
It is bittersweet - I remember so well. Like I told you before, though - it all just keeps getting better and better! God gives you more love than you ever dreamed possible and your family will feel even more perfect! (even though I know it feels pretty perfect right now).
Cute comments from Eleanor!
Love you, my friend!
Amy
I understand, Brynn. Joe was only two years behind Jordan and he was often handed off to Laurence because I couldn't do it all. But the best blessing was he looked to Laurence for lots of nurturing and that was great. When he'd get hurt, he yell for his dad! Love you all very, very much. Karma Karma & Grampa Laurence
Hi Brynn,
It's your neighbor down the street! Those Eleanor stories are funny - "kids say the darndest things." :-) Maybe we'll see you out and about -- if the weather actually ever gets nice.
Brynn,
I am thankful that I can hear someone else articulate what I felt with my Eleanor and the arrival of a new one.
Here's what I learned........
1. In the beginning while the little one is resting, you can rest and play/connect with Miss E.
2. Around 6 weeks, Miss E will struggle and need more of you. I did dates with mine while daddy was with Miles.
3. I tried to prep things I'd need for the next awake period (Miles was colicky and you couldn't put him down) so that I could maximize miss E time.
It comes and goes in waves. You'll have glimpses of the old connection, glimpses of the new one, good days, tough days and when the new one is nearly 2 you'll think how did we get here so fast?
We are excited for you!!!!
MJEM
Post a Comment