Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bragging Rights!

I'm going to take some time to brag about my husband for a minute. Michael's first published arrangement, Joy to the World, was recently reviewed in the ACDA Choral Journal (a national publication of the American Choral Directors Association, which has a membership of 30,000 conductors). Michael did not know that his piece would be reviewed and was shocked to find it in the journal this month! Here are some snippets from what the reviewer had to say:

"Michael Culloton has arranged a fresh and modern version of the perennial favorite Joy to the World. The composer's primary innovation is the use of mixed meters which gives the traditional melody a festive lilt."


"Aside from the divisi requirements, this piece is very accessible for a host of ensemble types. High school, church, college, and community choirs should be able to perform this delightful version with ease if they have the forces needed and can correctly perform the changing meters."


"Culloton has demonstrated that new arrangements of old favorites can be inventive and modern, yet preserve the original intent of the source material. Those who choose to add this joyful arrangement into their holiday repertoire will find that they will be caroling in style."

Reviewed by Jamey Kelley, Nashville Tennessee

I'm going to hope that this leads to more arrangements/compositions in the future. Michael definitely has a talent that he just needs to take the time to tap in to. Also, this was great publicity for the Matthew & Michael Culloton Choral Series through Santa Barbara Music Publishing, Inc. Hopefully, more copies of this piece will be sold very soon! :)

4 comments:

BAGVLI said...

Very cool!!! Good job, Michael! Congrats!

The weather doesn't look so good for tomorrow... Praying for safe travels!

I have pics of Baby Ethan on my blog now...

Hope you're having a fun weekend!

Roseys said...

Great Job, Michael! It's about time you got some press - on the blog, ha! We're very proud of you and not just because of these reviews. You've always been tops in our book. We love you, Janis and Jim

Laura said...

Congratulations to Michael! This is very nice publicity and I can tell you it was a fun piece to sing. Hope he returned home safe in yesterdays' snow.

Courtney said...

Whoo hoo - what a great review!

Perhaps the church choir that I conduct could take it on for next Christmas - always looking for lovely music in a sacred setting!

Way to go Mike! I recall the pleasure of singing um ... 15 years ago when Michael arranged the King Singer's MLK for Chamber Singers and he conducted it. I was in 7th Heaven completely surrounded by 2nd Basses when they dropped - Matt and Brett going for the D (usually I was surrounded by 3 BII but Mike was at the podium.) Ahhhh - sweet memories.

A couple of tremendously talented brothers! (And to think I knew them when they drove "The Dart"!)